Friday, March 18, 2011

Friday Funday

After a whirlwind week at the Medical Clinic, (which I will post about shortly, no doubt) I decided to dedicate this Friday to cleaning house and listening to some sweet tunes of my choosing. Ask any PCV and they'll attest to the amount of cell-phone amplified Moroccan music I was forced to listen to during a 50 hour work week at the Dar Chebab...

Anywho, I thought I'd share with you all my musical obsessions of late. So, stay tuned... HA.

First at bat - 'Stack Shot Billy' by The Black Keys


Okay, so, these dudes kind of rock my world. While I'm fully aware they've put out three (badass) albums since Rubber Factory back in 2004, there's something about the grittiness of this record I can't get over. I can literally feel when my insides sync in with the beat of this track in particular. I remember the first time I saw these guys, back in '03, when the opened for John Mayer... Yeah, you read that right. John... Mayer. I didn't get the connection either, but I totally came away from that concert blown away by the opening act and pretty much forgetting anything having to do with headliner. (Yes, I'm avoiding your questions on why I went to a Mayer concert in the first place... I was 16.) I know I'm not the first nor last to express their adoration of this duo - seeing as they won a freaking GRAMMY this year ya'll - but hotdamn, they move me.

'Goodbye England' - Laura Marling


I. Need. To. Be. Her. She is out of control talented. I've been obsessed with I Speak Because I Can for over almost a year now. It's one of those rare and complete story-telling albums. It's fantastic. The fact it came out of a girl who was, what, 19 at the time? Boggles my mind. She writes with such experience and grace, it's the complete package. For those of you who are into Joni Mitchell, Mumford & Sons, Noah and the Whale, etc, this is for you. I have such a girl-crush on her. Perfection.

Okay, and 'Rambling Man'. Just enjoy.


'Gasoline Alley' - Rod Stewart


I, along with every other woman in history, have had an old-man crush on Rod Stewart for sometime now. There is just something about his voice in combination with this short (and not normally) a capella diddy that pulls at a girl's heartstrings. My crush-age has recently been reignited due to the newest season of American Idol (yes I'm admitting this to the public). I'm sending some serious vibes to that Paul McDonald kid. You hear that, Paul? Mrhaba to Morocco anyyyyyytime.

'Maggie Mae' - Paul McDonald (Rod Stewart tune)


'Not Fade Away' - Jack White (Buddy Holly tune)


Apparently, our friend Jack made a surprise stop at SXSW the other day. I saw this clip and died a little inside. The first musical I ever saw was Buddy - The Buddy Holly Story at the Strand Theatre in London's West End back when I was 14. I loved him. I was obviously born some 50 years too late. However, having one of my favourite musicians of all time covering this classic made me happy. Gah, why I am I in Morocco and not touring around the US attending various music festivals again? The Coachella line up made me tear up, SXSW is making me anxious, Bonnaroo is just going to full on make me bawl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stat Counter

Total Pageviews