Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Love and condolences

So originally I was quite excited to write this blog merely as a relatively hysterical reflection on my mother's reaction to my last entry. Turns out the alias for my new town 'Sedonamiz' too easily reads as 'Sodomize'... and, well, my mom had a field day with that one. Wasted a few bucks in longdistance phone billage just doing that whole silent laugh thing, you know when your ready to start a sentance and it turns out 'I can't believe you wrote thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa -insert section of air gasping here-' Its a sort of donkey guffaw you are always embarrassed to do in public but find yourself trapped in it at the most inoppertune moments. Somewhat synonymous with the church giggles if you will. Anyway, from here on out my town shall be called Sedona-miz. Hello hyphen, how are you today.

Despite my desire to leave it at that delightfully tickling moment of faux pas (fopas! that's for you, you know who you are), I feel a slight need to mention somewhat of a darker trend happening round these parts.

Unfortunately, David Lillie, our truly fabulous country director, had the task of informing us PCVs that one of our own passed away in a Marrakech hospital yesterday. I'll refrain from mentioning names as I'm not sure what protocol is on that, but it was definitely a shock to the system and especially to those that knew her. I just want to send my best to her family and a big hug to everyone who knew her, sincerest condolences.

The worst part about it is that this is only one death among many deaths and serious injuries I have heard about in the past week alone. During our last days in CBT our cook's brother cracked his skull open in a motorcycle accident, a close friend of ours from the town had his dad die the very next day, and mom called with news of a friend having also seriously injured himself in a motorcycle accident. Since leaving CBT, a fellow PCV is attempting to comfort a long distance girlfriend who's grandfather is dying, the PCV mentioned above was brought to our attention just last night, and just before posting this entry facebook informed me that a family friend's father passed away as well. It's tough man, not being able to be around to comfort people, not being able to feel in control of a situation, it only magnifies what all of us newbie-to-sites are dealing with right now. Hamdullah nothing of this sort has hit home, or my home if you will, knock on a big old hunk of wood, but still. Dude. Lots of love to you all nonetheless.

1 comment:

  1. Hi little girl,
    A change of duty station, bad news from home, missing your family & old friends and anticipation about the future is tuff. When I was overseas for a year and I felt P Oed with life, I would cross myself and say a prier(sp). Then take a deep breath and get'er done. Don't tell anyone but every morning and evening I pray (X Army Sargeant, biker, truckdriver, bar room fighter,etc., aren't supposed to pray but you and Alex are in my priers all the time. I worry all the time. On Thursday, Alex and I are going to Mass, while were're there, I'll light a candle for the young Peace Corps girl and her familly.
    So look for the good in the world. Look into the eyes of the children. They're all inocents and contact with you makes their lifes more enjoyable. What are your plans for the Holidays? Are you Yanks getting together? Are you ready for some Turkey, Duck, Pumkin pie, mashed taters, cream peas, Fritata? Now I'm hungry. Think I'll go to Jons' & get something to eat. Love Ya! You know, your Dad.

    ReplyDelete

Stat Counter

Total Pageviews