Tuesday, June 1, 2010

IST Road Trip Playlist

What did I do this sweltering, humid Tuesday? Compiled a playlist to use and abuse on the train ride up to Rabat tomorrow, that's what... It feels like aaaaaaaaaaages since I've indulged and let myself fall into the infinite abyss that is itunes and stroll down memory lane all afternoon, hand in hand with the likes of Mr White, Mr Plant, and Mrs O.

Here are some oldies but goodies I forgot had existed and who are now happily in regular rotation once again:

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Road Trippin' - Appropriate n'est-ce pas? Still need to get some snacks & supplies though, as Anthony suggests.

Supertramp - Breakfast in America - Still upsets me how so many tweens think the Gym Class Heros came up with this bit of melodic genius. Hodgson deserves better.

The Nightwatchman - The Road I must Travel - Few things are sexier than a solo radical Tom Morello.

Tom Petty - Don't Come Around Here No More - I still remember being like five or six years old and watching this video for the first time. Despite the fact that they ate her as dessert, I SO wanted to be this version of Alice over the Disney cartoon. Plus, anything with a sitar is a winner in my book.

Sublime - Rivers of Babylon - I love this song because a)it's pretty damn catchy in a s'mores around the campfire type way and b) it includes flashbacks to when every male at my high school would play this song in the bowl - our HS outdoor amphitheater - thinking they were going to get laid or something. Every girl's face resembling a literal translation of 'oh pleeeeeeeeeeeease'. Cue mocking giggle-fest.

TV on the Radio - Dancing Choose - Merely for a foam injected Axl Rose, life size. Finer poetry has ne'er been written.

Weezer - Kids/Pokerface - The most epically hysterical mashup ever. Weezer coming out on stage in snuggies, on a rotating couch, proceeding to lead their set with MGMT meets Gaga. Searched high and low for an audio of this puppy and plan to play it on repeat for a significant duration of my trip now that I have it.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Zero - I'm a girl. I love her. Don't judge me.

The Raconteurs - These Stones Will Shout - I don't know how to explain it, but I felt like this song had been hiding, living somewhere inside me this first time I heard it. Something about it is just really lovely and familiar.

Santana - She's Not There - I'm a big Zombies fan, but still prefer this version wayyyyy more. Much like I prefer Jimi's version of All Along the Watchtower and Clapton's version of Knockin' on Heaven's Door. Sure Dylan's a genius, I just like it better when other people sing him.

Dead Man's Bones - Name in Stone - Anything that lists the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland one of their inspirations has my vote. And, you know, Ryan Gosling isn't bad to look at either. Drool.

Stillwater - Fever Dog - Just because they are a fictional band living in Cameron Crowe's imagination does not mean they are not worthy of my love. How many of you list Spinal Tap as one of your favourite bands? Yeah, exactly, that's what I thought.

Other than those little morsels of musical joy, I'll probably be listening to full albums of Beck, Neutral Milk Hotel, Saves the Day, The Dead Weather, Wolfmother, Fire on Fire, and Zeppelin as per usual. I love days when I get to fall in love with music all over again.

3 comments:

  1. did you know a new dead weather album came out?! i was going to buy it in madrid but machat wallet.

    also, i love fever dog, AND that weezer mashup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm putting together my iPod for China... just today added Dead Weather and Saves the Day.

    RRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXSSSSSSSSSSSS.

    NMH was already on there.

    You're welcome for FoF

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the tom petty- i'm actually seeing him in a few weeks at summerfest in milwaukee. i used to love "american girl," but now can't listen to it while driving as i think i'll suffer the same fate as the girl in "silence of the lambs" because that's what she was listening to. and it definitely bugs me that kids think the supertramp song is some brand new thing.

    ReplyDelete

Stat Counter

Total Pageviews