Friday, June 18, 2010

Random Smorgasbord

How the hell do people who watch Dexter sleep at night.

I managed to watch the entirety of season 1 within two days of being back at site. It should seriously come with a warning label: increases blood pressure, triggers schizophrenia-like outbursts, expect prolonged nausea, and a high likelihood of wetting your bed. I have never been so paranoid as I was night before last, strung out at three am, five episodes deep. My God. Thankfully, I only had season 1 on my hard drive, so my current state of emotional instability can slowly come back to normal.

The interim Country Director and new PCMO (Peace Corps Medical Officer) swung by Sedona-miz yesterday for a little visit with the site-mate and I. Other than a jaunt up the mountain and consuming copious amounts of pastries at my host-family's, we didn't really do much else. It was kind of nice to have some PC people to show around though, even though I'm sure the entire village just though they were my grandparents. Or as my host-dad joked 'Wesh huma grand-grand-grand-grand parents dyalk?' Followed by a long-rolling belly-laugh. Oh tact, how often you are ignored here in Morocco.

Today I managed to get an association meeting rescheduled due to my wanting to watch the America-Slovenia game at 3. I love a country that has its priorities straight.

So when lots of PCVs get together, as was the case during IST last week, we like to catch each other up on American cultural gems we may have missed out on being in our rural corners of the country. I'd like to share with you three musical items I could have continued living without, but have been recently exposed to nonetheless.

Katy Perry - California Gurls - Okay, so terrible lyrics aside - why mess with Beach Boys territory? - the beat is obviously catchy, Snoop Dogg is involved, and hi, I'm from California, so I want to like it. What won me over was not the video per-se, but the video concept. I freaking LOVED Candyland as a kid. I think I still have it in the top shelf of my closet at home. Lord Licorice? Queen Frostine? Jolly the jujube/gumdrop? All about it.

Lady Gaga - Bad Romance - Obvious commentary aside, it occurred to Yorda & I what the obvious inspiration was for one costume choice... I give you: the car-dealership blow-up sock.


Rhianna - Rude Boy - Can. Not. Get. This. Song. Out. Of. My. Head. I waiver between dancing along alone in my house and wanting to wash my ears out with soap. The lyrics are out of control. Are the same girls who love Hannah Montana and that Beiber kid listening to this?

Anyway, off to some rooftop lunching before the game. GO USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stat Counter

Total Pageviews