Wednesday, February 17, 2010

24 hours ago, Jeter wasn't in my bed.


So I've officially gone against everything I believe in. I'm officially a cat-owner. This was not a choice. You may well know I am a loyal dog fan. Always have been. Always will be. Albeit, I was, very kindly, given a two-month old kitten from one of my BAC students. Last night. At 8:30. In a plastic bag. I got a knock at my door, and there was my one of my favourite students; with a meowing souq bag.

Then comes 8:45pm. This kitten and I are having a staring contest; sizing each other up; testing boundaries already (it - trying to jump on my bed, me - attempting to check between its legs, trying to determine if the it is a he or she). 9:00 - what the hell do I do with this thing? Cardboard box and blanket? Too small. Washing bucket and blanket? Too short. My laundry hamper? Ding ding. So after some warm milk and crushed cereal pieces, we were both off to bed. Only around four mewings woke me up last night, can't complain too much.

This morning appeared to be bonding time. We proceeded to snuggle and watch 30 Rock together. Until I saw a flea. It was then bath time. Any bonding that had previously occurred was immediately negated by my scrubbing of the cat in Head & Shoulders. In a bucket. Once the fleas had been dealt with, we became reacquainted via the medium of blow-dryer. The little guy...gal...thing loves some warm air being blasted at its behind, that's for sure. Then, while it napped, I made some home-made cat food - as dictated by Google. Some sort of rice, sardine, carrot, oat concoction it seemed to be rather pleased with. Pat on back. Post-feast, my eight year old host brother came over and proceeded to torment, ahem, play with it, until it passed out again. It slept until I came home from class even. It is currently using my body as a personal jungle gym.

Moral of the story - I need a name.

I'm one of those people who definitely plans ahead in terms of pet names. Maybe not kid names, but future puppies... oh you betcha. Falcor and Pantoufle, my friends. - Extra friend points if you know where those names come from. - But I just couldn't use obvious doggy names for a kitten now could I?

So I started brainstorming... possibly Watson? I just watched Sherlock Holmes and it seemed cute enough. Meh... no. What about... Jim? Robert? Devendra?... Trying to hard. Ah! Janice! Wait... no... even I can't help hearing 'OMG! Chaaaaaandler Bing!' instead of 'Me and My Bobby McGee'. I really wanted something like Paul Anka, like the Gilmore Girls did late in the series... Tunde Adebimpe? Has a ring to it... but not quite right. Okay, music not working... Time to bring brother in on this via skype... Sports icons! Okay, so naturally Yankees come into discussion first... Clemens? No... Ah! Pettite! So then when some one is like 'What's its name?' I can be like 'Pettite.' And then they'll be like 'Okay, I'll pet it, but what's its name?' And then I'll chuckle.... No. Too long winded and I'm obviously in the wrong country to play name-puns in. ... Okay, so naturally next would be Jeter. Jeter! I like it.

Currently, Jeter is nibbling my ear lobe. I gave Jeter a bath today. I'm in bed with Jeter right now. Ha. I like where this is going.

The only mushkil (problem) lies in the fact Jeter may or may not be a girl. Hmph.

3 comments:

  1. i was always a dog-lover, too...then i moved into an apartment with 2 human and 4 feline roommates. now we're best buds. and how could you not love a face like that?! jeter is freakin adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yellow, strips, it's an African Tiger! Therefore its name should be "TIGGER" as in Disny. What do you think, Pooh Pooh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww cuuute!! if there's no pet shampoo there, head and shoulders is a little harsh on a small kitten like Jeter. Use baby shampoo.. don't get it in its eyes or ears (duh).

    let me know if you have any questions or how to figure out its sex :)

    love you!

    ReplyDelete

Stat Counter

Total Pageviews