Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Great Odin's Raven

Anecdote time.

So on Tuesday nights - on a night just like this - I have my beginner class, my quatrieme-annee kids. After being about 45 min late (it was raining), a few show up and we decided to review their food and culture chapter as they've got a test tomorrow. We sift through the pages, spending extra time on the big supermarket picture, answering questions about what we usually buy, cook, and eat by referencing said picture. One of the questions happened to be 'What kind of tagine do you like?' I expected the perfunctory answers to include something along the lines of 'I like a vegetable tagine,' 'I like a chicken tagine,' etc. I did not, however, expect one of the newest girls to scream "I love lamp!"

I knew she meant lamb, but I felt the natural response was still appropriate:

"Do you really love lamp or are you just saying it because you saw it?"

"I love lamp... I love lamp tagine."

I later clarified it was a silent 'b' at the end of lamb.

You stay classy, San Diego, and thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

  1. That is the greatest thing I have ever heard in my life. For real.

    ReplyDelete

Stat Counter

Total Pageviews