Thursday, September 24, 2009

Across the universe

Busy, busy, busy. Learned how to tell time today. Boo-ya. Along with about 30 new verbs and another couple tenses. And a massive enslaught of environmental vocabulary. After meeting with the association yesterday, they've asked for our help in an effort to cleanup the city... or at least try. The town doesn't have any system or infrastructure on deposting of rubbish. At the moment the gorge on the outskirts has had the pleasure of being the dumping grounds. We are going to be working on environmental presentations at schools, community education, and the ever-present plant a tree day at the dar chebab. Hopefully. A lot of planning and meeting to be done, but it'll be fun! And hopefully leave an impression after we leave this CBT site.

At the end of our work day today, me and my fellow ninja turtles - side anecdote, there are four of us, I'm Donatell-a - jammed. After watching across the universe and feeling rather inspired, David broke out the ukalele and we pumped out some tunes. It was a little sad, if not pathetic, that our Beatles songbook knowledge was far superior to our Disney knowledge. Hakuna Matata was rough ya'll. Nothing at all like kareoke version some of you EF vets will(hopefully not) remember!

This weekend we have off, so we are going to be heading to a local town where another CBT site is in order to visit some friends for some down time. Which is much needed! Loving every minute, but perpetually exhausted.

Couple points that I consider note-worthy:

So mommy just emailed me back - HI MOM - and she said 'it sounds like you're in Alice's wonderland, only without colour'. It's kind of true. It's still kind of surreal that I live here. I'm not a traveller, or even the the stigma of tourist, I live here. A comment I made to my sitemates yesterday was the lack of colour here. Its not a big city, its charistmatic, but beige. In the movie today, Lucy mentions jumping down the Rabbit Hole. Running through the field after taking various hallucinagetics, post-Bono cameo (barf), she suggests jumping right on in. I did. I have. And I'm not even on drugs.

Watched Almost Famous yesterday as well. Those of you who know me well, know I was married to that movie for a few years (thanks Dave). I had completely space cadett-ed on the fact she ends up in Morocco at the end of it all. Things are coming together. Pieces are falling in the right places. I feel contented. Or at least I'm close.

xoxo

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe how your world's of experience are coming together...environmental...really? Your Greenpeace friends will be so proud. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to pretend I didn't see that grammatical error, mommy. Love you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Stat Counter

Total Pageviews