Monday, September 21, 2009

Eid

Hello food during daylight hours! How I've missed you.

So it was pretty up in the air as to when exactly Eid was going to happen... We hoped for yesterday but the moon... only in Morocco as it were... decided today was the day I could resume normal meal times. I've been fasting since I arrived at my site and have been aokay with the no eating thought... it's the no water thing that has been slightly difficult. And maybe the impure thought restriction. Ha. No? Okay then. Pete knows what I'm talking about.

Since today was a big celebration and all, I headed to the country side with my massive entourage of a family to their Grandmother's house. We literally went over the river. And through the woods. ... And the tobacco fields. Huuuuuge property with a million animals. Two of which, I believe we ate for lunch. It was also the first time I had what was essentially milk couscous. As in the american concept of milk rice or rice pudding, just made with couscous. Novel idea really. Though my tummy is currently experience the ramifications of that invention.

Rode a horse too. In a dress. May have comprimised some dignity in exchange for cultural experience. C'est la vie.

Ah random thing(s): The grapes here are mindblowing. They taste like vineyard grapes rather than your standered green or red. Which, now that I'm writing this, makes sense. Apparently, Morocco, though not a drinking culture, produces quite a bit of wine. Big export so they say.

Before I head out, I feel like I need to mention some of the music taste oozing out of my village. No, it's not just the delightfully traditional Berber music you may expect. Instead, they think us Yanks listen to nothing but Celine Dion, Bryan Adams, with the occasional splash of Shakira. For real. The Beatles? Never heard of 'em. Stones? Nope. Zeppelin? Can't even pronounce it. Even the shameful Britney Spears mention got a blank stare. I still don't know if I should be amused or concerned about this.

Tomorrow, class resumes and we head to the dar chebab to figure out our plan of action as far as English lessons, drama, sports, and pingpong are concerned. Wish us luck!!!

2 comments:

Stat Counter

Total Pageviews