Saturday, September 12, 2009

I couldn't make this stuff up.

So let me set the scene: Dinner time. Friday night. 8pm. 63 Americans sat down round 8 or so tables awaiting the now customary feast of some salad, some soup, something slaughtered, and something sweet. We began our descent into a basket of bread when half – the better half? ;) – of one of my favourite couple ever (no, seriously) stands up to mention how it would be kind if we had a moment of silence for the victims and families of September 11th, given the eight year anniversary. We all nod in empathetic agreement and collectively agree that a minute or so should suffice. The room falls into an emotional silence and for the first time ever I find myself actually reflecting upon images, locations, and victims that could have been and glad weren’t.

Now, this would be a solemn, weighted, almost unnecessary post if that’s where the story ended and/or went down the cultural differences reflection you thought it might. Well, you see, the dining room we eat in has a TV in the corner that entertains staff when they’re not serving us the various culinary schmorgasboards throughout the day. Apparently Moroccans love their TVs, more especially - their Turkish soap operas. Tela Novella has nothing on this ya’ll. However, timing could have been better in this fine episode.

I’m sure Mr. Turkish really loved Miss Turkish, but being emphatically entwined in vocally significant lust during a 9/11 tribute could definitely have been pushed back about thirty seconds.

I swear I tried; I bit my lip, plugged my ears, held my breath; but nothing could stop me snorting myself to embarrassment as I catalyzed the entire room into bouts of terribly – and I mean terribly – inappropriate laughter. A little piece of me dies inside every time I think about it. I have a soul. Really I do. I’m in Peace Corps for goodness sake. But you try holding it in when sexual intercourse is blaring from the back of a room halfway through a moment of silence. You couldn’t pay me to make this stuff up folks.

Anyway, I don’t think I have enough dignity to write anything else after that... Going to ‘town’ tomorrow and leave for CBT site on Tuesday so who knows what internet access will be like after that. Will post if anything else significant or mortifying happens before then.

Oh, and I’d like to give a couple shout-outs as fellow lovely volunteers have mentioned some friends & fam reading. Here’s a ‘what-up’ to Allie’s mom and Sam’s friend Patrick. Oh and Aragons – Paylan sends his regards.

Roger that. xx

4 comments:

  1. Oh my God I can't believe Sam told you I'm a fan. But I am. Big time. Even absent my interest in knowing what it's like for Sam out there, I'd read your blog any day. It's HILARIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am most excited I found your blog, as I am just now beginning my Peace Corp application. I can't wait to hear more of your adventures! Best of luck and wishes from here in New Orleans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always thought about joining the Peace Corps, and I have been curious about Morocco. I will be following your blog from now on. Good luck on your trip.

    ReplyDelete

Stat Counter

Total Pageviews